Marin went inside the school to report the accident and left the door unlocked with a stone, according to Flanary, who is assisting Marin in a possible civil action against the makers of the weapon used in the massacre.
Marin saw the 18-year-old shooter approach, Flanary said, so she kicked the door shut and ran to a nearby nearby classroom, huddled under a counter.
“Frozen” in fear, Marin received a text from his daughter asking if she was safe, and eventually had to silence his phone, convinced the shooter would hear him, his lawyer said.
“She thought he was going to come in and kill her and she made peace with that,” Flanary said.
“She felt lonely, like she couldn’t even cry,” Flanary said. “She questioned herself, like ‘didn’t I do that? “”, He added.
The pre-trial motion does not accuse the gunmaker of wrongdoing, but seeks to determine whether the petitioner has a basis to file a complaint against Daniel Defense. CNN has contacted Daniel Defense for its response to the filing.
State senator demands more answers
Search warrants have been issued for the shooter’s cellphone, vehicle and his grandparents’ home, according to court records obtained by CNN. The warrant gives investigators the power to perform a forensic download of the cellphone – which was next to his body – in search of a mobile.
State Senator Roland Gutierrez said he spoke with the agency that regulates 911 calls, the State Emergency Communications Commission, and was told that calls to 911 had been processed and forwarded to city police at the scene. However, what is unclear is whether this information was passed on to the school district police chief, who was the incident commander at the scene.
“They were released to a police officer in Uvalde and the state agency I spoke to didn’t tell me who it was,” Gutierrez said.
“I want to know where the cops were in that room. I want to know how many of my cops were in there, how many state troopers were there. I want to know how many state troopers were outside. I want to know how many federal agents were inside for 19 minutes, I mean for 45 minutes,” Gutierrez told reporters.
“I want to know specifically who was receiving the 911 calls,” he said.
CNN has reached out to the state Emergency Communications Commission, Uvalde Police and the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District for comment on Gutierrez’s statements.
The judge says he tried to identify the victims
As the community gathers to bury the missing, the justice of the peace who was on duty as de facto coroner recalled the tragic scene.
Judge Lalo Diaz Jr. discovered the ‘active shooter’ situation from a police social media alert, he told CNN’s Poppy Harlow on Thursday, fearing the possibility of deaths as a result. .
But, soon after, “I hear the ambulances and I hear the officers and the sirens,” he said.
“My mind was racing,” Diaz said, “knowing that I was going to see something amazing, that I never wanted to see.”
“It breaks my heart,” Diaz said. “I see this devastation that these weapons have done to children and to these teachers, and it’s just unbelievable.”
CNN’s Rebekah Riess, Chris Boyette, Amir Vera, Holly Yan, Elizabeth Joseph, Aya Elamroussi and Haley Burton contributed to this report.