Lawyer hopes 14-year-old Hollywood sex assault suspect won’t be charged as an adult – NBC 6 South Florida

A hearing was held on Monday for a Hollywood teenager charged in two separate sexual assault cases, as prosecutors have yet to announce whether he will be charged as an adult.

The 14-year-old was originally arrested on June 13 in connection with a violent sexual assault.

Police say the victim was walking to work just before 4 a.m. Friday when she was assaulted and sexually assaulted by the teen in the 300 block of S. Park Road.

Police released surveillance footage of the suspect after the incident and said detectives were working around the clock to locate him and take him into custody.

After his arrest, a second alleged victim came forward and was allegedly assaulted by the teenager, police said. Police have not released details of the second case of assault, but it is believed to have happened last month.

Defense attorney Jim Lewis was in court on Monday hoping the teenager will not be charged as an adult.

“I hope now the criminal justice system, the juvenile justice system, has grown to the point where we can deal with serious cases without having to ruin the life of a 14-year-old. I hope we have grown up where we can do the right thing,” Lewis said.

The judge handling the case said it was up to the Broward State Attorney’s Office to decide whether the case would remain in juvenile court.

“I hope they don’t run the case. I hope they learn from the past that putting a 14-year-old in adult court and adult jail is not the right thing to do.” , Lewis said.

The teenager remains held in a juvenile detention center until the next court date, scheduled for July 12.

About Michael Murphy

Check Also

NTSB report on plane crash that killed attorney Steve Barnes

PEMBROKE, NY — The National Transportation Safety Board on Wednesday released more than 120 pieces …